Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The importance of time with our Father

If you ask me, yeah I pray and I read my Bible, and I go to church every Sunday. I enjoy spending time with God, but I know that I don't do it as much as I should. I blame it on my life being busy serving or spending time with my family or work or anything else I fill my day with. But when it comes down to it, I make time to scroll through my news feed on Facebook, I rarely miss my shows on TV and I spend a lot of time in my car just singing to the radio or yelling at traffic! Those are not bad things in and of themselves, but it is time that I could be devoting to following Jesus, to talking to Him or to reading what He says.

This morning I decided that when my alarm went off at 5:50 I was going to get up and spend some time with God instead of hitting snooze repeatedly! So when I heard it start I hesitantly got up and began a mental complaint about the early hour. God was quick to remind me that it is the least I can do for the One who created me and loves me! I slowly did a few small morning tasks, made coffee and went to sit outside with my Bible in hand. It was {surprisingly} an absolutely gorgeous morning! The sun hadn't quite peaked over the trees that surround my neighborhood and it was already warm enough but not too hot outside! Almost immediately I was so grateful that I had dragged my butt out of bed kicking and screaming because it was so wonderful!

I read a couple chapters in Isaiah and thanked God for creating such beautiful things while sipping my coffee! No one else in my house was awake yet, and it didn't seem like my neighbors were either, so it was just me and God and the nature that He created! It was so peaceful! I rarely make time for this and I now know what I am missing out on! My mood was lifted and the world was put back into perspective for me again. I have a tendency to focus on the problems right in front of my face, instead of looking around and seeing the blessings that are just beyond my focus.

I want to challenge you to wake up a little earlier than you have to just to be able to spend some time admiring what God has created. He didn't have to make the things in nature so beautiful, but I believe He did it to remind us of His attention to detail and His desire for us to recognize His beauty! I think from now on my alarm will be set a bit earlier just so I can sit in His creation and remember what He has done for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment