Thursday, September 13, 2012

This is what faith is made of

Now faith is the assurance (the confirmation, the title deed) of the things we hope for, being the proof of things we do not see and the conviction of their reality [faith perceiving as real fact what is not revealed to the senses].

But without faith it is impossible to please and be satisfactory to Him. For whoever would come near to God must [necessarily] believe that God exists and that He is the rewarder of those who earnestly and diligently seek Him [out].

[Urged on] by faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed and went forth to a place which he was destined to receive as an inheritance; and he went, although he did not know or trouble his mind about where he was to go... For he was [waiting expectantly and confidently] looking forward to the city which has fixed and firm foundations, whose Architect and Builder is God. Because of faith also Sarah herself received physical power to conceive a child, even when she was long past the age for it, because she considered [God] Who had given her the promise to be reliable and trustworthy and true to His word.

If they had been thinking with [homesick] remembrance of that country from which they were emigrants, they would have found constant opportunity to return to it. But the truth is that they were yearning for and aspiring to a better and more desirable country, that is, a heavenly [one]. For that reason God is not ashamed to be called their God [even to be surnamed their God - the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob], for He has prepared a city for them.
{Hebrews 11:16, 8, 10-11, 15-16}

These verses really make me stop and think about the substance of my faith. Would I have enough faith to do the things that are spread out so wonderfully in Hebrews 11? 

Sometimes I foolishly start to think that I am starting to get a handle on this whole faith thing. I think I am doing well and can trust God with the things in my life. And then I find myself face to face with something that takes real faith. Not just a faith that I'll have enough money to spread out until my next pay day. Not just a faith that God will protect me as I merge into traffic. Not just a faith that God will give me the desires of my heart. It's something that takes bold faith. Faith that will not back down when things aren't going my way. A faith that transcends what people so or what they might think about me.

What will you be faithful in today?

No comments:

Post a Comment