Friday, July 6, 2012

I believe in fairytales

As a little girl I loved fairytales! (Let's be honest I still love fairytales!!) I believed as a child that fairytales came true for us. I wanted the fairytale life. I wanted to live happily-ever-after! But over time, life began to teach me that those were just for the imaginations of children and not real life. I learned that there was no such thing as "happily-ever-after" but only miserable-ever-after or divorce. I saw these trends repeated over and over again in the lives of the people closest to me. And I began to think that there was something wrong with me for still wanting that dream life, so I gave up on it. I allowed the world to form my opinions on love and marriage. I began to believe that marriages rarely work out, and that it is just better not to get married. I sometimes even found myself thinking sarcastically that marriage was the last legal form of slavery. But those are big fat lies from the devil!!! He wants us to give up on our dreams. He wants us to throw away God's perfect plans for marriage and love.

 In studying God's word, I have been reminded that we are a broken, mess of a people. It began in the Garden of Eden and has carried on since then. God designed marriage to last. It is a picture of Jesus' love for the church and His commitment to all believers. That kind of love and commitment is not something that should end or be contingent on feelings

Don't get me wrong, I know very little about actually being married. I have never even been in a serious dating relationship, let alone married. But I have read what God says about it, and He is never wrong! Too many people live based on their emotions and how they feel about something. That is not healthy. If I based all of my decisions on how I felt, I wouldn't go to work most days, I would eat everything in site, and I would say everything that came to mind regardless of how it makes others feel. I don't want to love people most of the time, but I know that is what I am called to do. I don't want to get up early and drive to work to sit in a cubicle, but I have to. I don't want to filter what I say, especially when I am mad and want to tell someone off, but I have to.
I can imagine that most days in a marriage you are asked to love someone that you may not feel like loving that day for whatever reason. But you have to choose to do what is right. 

So I want to let you all know that I 100% believe that fairytales are possible! I believe that if I wait on God and the man that He has for me, I will have a God-honoring happily-ever-after. There will most certainly be hardships and trials to overcome, but it will be worth it!
When life has given us every reason to become callous toward love and marriage, wait for God's perfect plan and prove the world wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment