Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Another one bites the dust

If you are keeping track, I started with 3 credit card bills per month, 2 were small and 1 was large. You might remember that I paid off one a couple weeks ago.

So, here's another update: last night I paid off the second small card! It's a great feeling.

The short term is that it made me a little short on cash this week. But in the long run I know it will be worth it. I had about $100 left to pay on it. I was considering paying $50 this month and another $50 next month to be done with it, but after interest and all that, I would've ended up paying more on it in the long run, so I opted to scrape the money together this month and pay it off and be done with it.

I realize that none of this is ground breaking. I'm not doing anything special to pay off debt. I just want to share so it keeps me a little more accountable and so I can look back and track my progress! This is something that I have struggled with for too long and something that I want to rid from my life.

Credit cards can make life a lot easier. But their comfort is a lie. For too long I based my financial security on these things and now I am paying the high price, literally. I leaned on credit cards while in college so I didn't have to work but I could lead the same kind of life I would have if I did. I over spent and didn't think twice about it. If I wanted a new shirt, I bought it. If I wanted to go out to eat with my friends, I did. I didn't think twice about it. But now I am paying for those years of foolishness.

I pay a large sum of my monthly income toward the lifestyle I had in college. Had I buckled down and lived like the poor college student I was then, I could be living a little more comfortably as the slightly less poor young professional that I am now. I'm not rich by any means. Most weeks I barely scrape by. The day before pay day is usually pretty interesting. My gas tank is usually just about running on fumes and my food supply is down to scraps, but I make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment