Friday, August 16, 2013

This single girl is headed to Women's Ministry

Hey everyone!
So, a few weeks ago I wrote a post about my struggles with the idea of women's ministry along with my own personal experiences that have added to the struggles. You can read it here. Since that time some crazy things have happened!

I don't usually get a ton of views or comments on my posts, and that is fine by me. My blog is mostly for me to get things out there for my own personal well-being and not to gain followers or get 100 comments. But that post got the highest views I've had on any post, ever! It seems I struck a nerve with some and spoke the truth others were feeling too. It wasn't my intention to upset, offend, hurt or bash any one or any thing. I'm just an honest, slightly sarcastic girl who tends to lean toward truth over grace. But through the messy honesty of that post and the real experiences that I went out on a limb and opened up about, things have begun to change, both in me and in the women's ministry of the church I call home. I know that I have no right to criticize if I'm not willing to do what I can to help.

So here's the big news! Are you ready for this? Not in a million years did I think I would utter these words, but here they are: I am leading a bible study on Monday nights in the Women's Ministry at the church I attend with one of my best friends. 

After my blog was published, a few key people read it and contacted me. The women in leadership positions within the Women's Ministry have been trying to come up with a way to reach out to girls just like me for years, but they didn't know how. Apparently my honesty and willingness to be transparent about my struggles opened a door that many faithful women had been praying would be opened. I met with Debbie, who heads up the bible studies for the Women's Ministry, and we chatted for hours about life and work, but most of all, about the gap between women that exists. At the end of our chat, she challenged me to pray about leading a study this fall.

I was mildly terrified at the idea. And, if I'm being honest, I'm still mildly terrified!

I've led studies before, in different settings. That's not what scares me. But the prospect of walking into uncharted territory as a young, single woman makes me nervous! I am so glad I'll have a close friend by my side. (To get to know her, head over to her blog!)

The words "For such a time as this" continue to run across my mind, and I believe that God has opened this door and pushed me through it for His purposes. So here we go!!

Some Details:
We will be studying "No Other Gods" by Kelly Minter.
(I have done Kelly's Nehemiah study and it was incredible, so I can't wait to dive into this study!)
If you are interested in taking this class, or any of the other classes offered, visit hisriver.net/women for more information, or meet me there Monday, Sept. 9 at 7 p.m. for Girl's Night Out to kick off the new year at The River Church, 8393 E. Holly Road, Holly, MI. Classes meet every Monday at 7 p.m.

2 comments:

  1. Yea!!!! So excited for you Ashley and Michelle!! You will do great and regardless of the outcome all GOD asks is that you be obedient to HIS calling!! I am praying for you and encourage women of all ages to attend this study and get to know these girls that are the next and upcoming generation.

    ReplyDelete