Monday, June 11, 2012

Push fear aside, not just farther down the road

Fear is a huge issue in our lives, I don't have to convince anyone of that. We fear everything. People breaking into our homes. Getting into a car accident. The unexpected. Losing our jobs. Spiders. Losing our homes. Death. Being alone. Snakes. Not living up to God's standards. Our children getting hurt or losing their way. What the doctor is going to say about the test results. Never getting married. Not being able to have children. I could go on and on and so could you.

But God says to cast your fears on him. Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall. {Psalm 55:22} Sometimes that is just a nice "Christian" sentiment that is actually really difficult to live up to.

At church this weekend, we sang a song that said "Casting my fears aside" and that got me thinking about what I do with my fear. Do I cast them aside or do I just push them a little farther down the road to deal with them later? And if Jesus is always by my side, wouldn't casting my cares to the side be casting them on Him? I definitely do the latter most of the time. I push my fears down the road a little farther each time and eventually they are going to pile up so tall that they will turn into a solid wall of fear that won't let me pass.

Anxiety does the same thing. We cannot control every aspect of our lives which wells up anxiety about the future in our minds and hearts. But what does worry get you? Does it help solve the problem? No. Does it help us to gain insight into the situation? No. Does it help at all? Absolutely not!

I know that I have a lot of fear from the baggage of my past. There are things that I have to work on right now, but there are also things that I will need help unpacking. There will be plenty of awkward and incredibly not fun conversations I will have in my future. But it has to be done!



What are your fears? Are you casting them on Jesus today or are you just pushing them a little farther down the road to deal with later? Be careful, those fears could turn into a wall of fear that threatens to consume you if you're not careful!

No comments:

Post a Comment