Tuesday, January 3, 2012

God's will can lead to inaction

I read a quote in Francis Chan's book Forgotten God recently that said "It's safer to commit to following Him someday instead of this day" His point is this: when we say we are looking for God's will for our lives we are less likely to act on things today.

I know in my own life I have acted selfishly in this area and thought to myself, "I don't know if this is God's will for my life so I am not going to do _____ (insert any number of things)" What is to say that I wasn't being asked to do that one thing that day?

We think long term when it comes to God's will, but what about today? Isn't today part of His will too? If it wasn't, would we be here?

I had a brush with this reality just the other day. I was sitting in church and out of the corner of my eye I saw a guy that I used to know and haven't seen in a very long time. I have heard that he has gone through some rough times in life already, even in his short 20 some years. And there I was about to burst into tears over him. Something was stirring in my heart and I felt like I was supposed to talk to him. I all but chased him out into the lobby, but he was already gone by the time I got there. I have been praying for him every day since. I have no idea why this struck me in that moment, but that doesn't matter.

Here is my question: Is he a large part of God's overall will for my life? Probably not. Would it have been wrong for me to ignore that overwhelming call to action? Absolutely.

Lately I have been trying to listen to the things God whispers into my heart and act on them. It is not easy, but so far has proven worth it.

My question for you is this: What is God calling you to do today that you are ignoring? What are you going to do about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment